Sunday, November 13, 2011

Charles Bukowski



A Smile To Remember

Charles Bukowski


we had goldfish and they circled around and around
in the bowl on the table near the heavy drapes
covering the picture window and
my mother, always smiling, wanting us all
to be happy, told me, 'be happy Henry!'
and she was right: it's better to be happy if you
can
but my father continued to beat her and me several times a week while
raging inside his 6-foot-two frame because he couldn't
understand what was attacking him from within.

my mother, poor fish,
wanting to be happy, beaten two or three times a
week, telling me to be happy: 'Henry, smile!
why don't you ever smile?'

and then she would smile, to show me how, and it was the
saddest smile I ever saw

one day the goldfish died, all five of them,
they floated on the water, on their sides, their
eyes still open,
and when my father got home he threw them to the cat
there on the kitchen floor and we watched as my mother
smiled

Um sorriso para relembrar

Nós tinhamos peixinhos dourados que circulavam ao redor e ao redor
da bacia em cima da mesa perto das cortinas pesadas
tapava as pinturas da janela e
minha mãe, sempre sorrindo, querendo que todos nós
fossemos felizes, me dizia: 'seja feliz Henry! "
e ela estava certa: é melhor ser feliz se você
pode,
mas, meu pai continuou a bater nela por várias vezes por semana, enquanto
corria dentro de seu quarto de seis metros e dois sem poder
entender o porque estava a atacá-la ali dentro.

minha mãe, pobre peixe,
querendo ser feliz, apanhando duas ou três vezes por
semana, me dizendo para ser feliz: "Henry, sorria!
por que você não nunca sorri? "

e, em seguida, ela sorria, para me mostrar como, e foi o
mais triste sorriso que eu já vi

um dia o peixinho dourado morreu, todos os cinco deles,
flutuavam sobre a água, em seus lados, seus
os olhos ainda abertos,
e quando meu pai chegou em casa atirou-os para o gato,
lá no chão da cozinha, e nós assisitmos como a minha mãe
sorriu.

Ilustração: olhares.aeiou.pt

No comments: